According to the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, over one million workers suffer from back injuries every year. A few simple tips can help you from being another injury statistic. Back injuries occur so often because there are so many different things that can cause them, leaving every worker susceptible to a potential back injury or pain. Consider these common causes of back injury:
9 Tips for Minimizing Overexertion:
1. Notice fatigue and discomfort. Don't lift if you're too tired or uncomfortable.
2. Know your body and use good body mechanics. Keep your back and neck straight -don't twist- and keep your head up. Your body knows what it can and can't lift, we are all unique.
3. Plan what you want to do ahead of time and don't be in a hurry to hurt your back. Rushing tasks will reduce your concentration and may cause you to slip or not use the correct lifting and moving techniques.
4. Keep objects as close to you as possible and use both hands when lifting.
5. Avoid bending at the waist for prolonged periods of time. This puts a large amount of strain on your spine and surrounding soft tissues.
6. Minimize overhead lifting and reaching that causes the back to arch. Excessive arching places stress on the small joints of the spine and places additional strain on the back and neck.
7. Move your feet. Avoid standing in one spot while working. This can force you to repeatedly bend and twist.
8. Reduce your load. It is better to make more small trips than one big trip with an over-sized load. Be sure to divide your load into smaller boxes if you can.
9. Get help. If something is too awkward or too heavy to move yourself, find another person to help.
© 2019 AT Mechanical